COVID-19 Vaccine Availability
COVID-19 vaccines currently available to all U.S. citizens and residents are Johnson & Johnson/Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech-COMIRNATY®, and Moderna. These vaccines are safe and effective against COVID-19 and its variants.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has licensed the Pfizer COMIRNATY® vaccine for individuals age 16 and older.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is offered through an FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for children ages 12-15.
- The Johnson & Johnson and Moderna vaccines are offered through an FDA EUA for individuals age 18 and older.
DOD COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
The DOD now requires COVID-19 vaccines for all members of the Armed Forces under DOD authority on active duty or in the Ready Reserve, including the National Guard, who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Each service will decide their own deadline for vaccination.
- If you’re a service member and you’ve received a COVID-19 vaccine from a non-DOD provider, make sure to update your medical records.
- If you haven’t received your COVID vaccine yet, schedule your vaccine as soon as you can.
- Find a DOD COVID Vaccine Location near you
The DOD already requires all ADSMs to get other types of vaccines before they join the military. There are very narrow religious and medical exemptions available on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions, contact your unit commander.
Recommended Third Dose
If you have an immune system that is moderately to severely compromised, the CDC recommends you may receive an additional dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna). This would be at least 4 weeks after your second dose. >>Learn More
Get the COVID-19 vaccine to protect yourself, your family, your community, and our nation.
To learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine, visit www.tricare.mil/COVIDVaccine.
How to Make an Appointment
To sign up for your COVID-19 vaccine, please call the 47th Medical Group’s main appointment line at 830-298-6333. The appointment line can be reached Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
What Happens Next?
Once you receive the vaccine, if you experience any side-effects or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly at 830-298-6333 or contact the MHS Nurse Advice Line.