The primary mission of the 47th Medical Group at Laughlin Air Force Base is to support the 47th Flying Training Wing's medical, dental and aeromedical needs in support of Laughlin’s Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training mission. The medical group is responsible for the health care of more than 3,400 Department of Defense (DoD) beneficiaries and also has a mission of ensuring medical readiness for wartime and other worldwide contingencies. Laughlin opened its first hospital on 7 Jan 1955. The facility contained 50 beds, expandable to 100 beds, seven operating rooms, a dental clinic, and three flight surgeon offices. In 1977 the existing facility was completed, encompassing more than 80,000 square feet with 20 inpatient beds, expandable to 50 beds, two operating rooms and a multi-service care unit. Mirroring the "rightsizing" of the Air Force, Laughlin's inpatient services closed and the hospital became a clinic on 1 Oct 1996.The clinic received its first accreditation from the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations in December 1997. In 2004 the clinic underwent a $7.5 million renovation project, which transformed the clinic's interior into a more efficient setting for outpatient care. Since then, the 47th Medical Group received the highest accreditation rating in the DoD during its October 2019 Joint Commission inspection. Today, the 47th Medical Group is comprised of two squadrons with 165 personnel. The Healthcare Operations Squadron provides services in Family Health, Pediatrics, Women’s Health, Laboratory, Radiology, Pharmacy, Immunizations, TRICARE and Patient Administration Services, in addition to Resource Management, Information Systems, and Logistics. The Operational Medical Readiness Squadron provides services in Flight Medicine, Optometry, Health and Wellness, Dental, Public Health, Bioenvironmental Engineering, Mental Health, and Medical Readiness.